Glossary of Terms
9.1 CENSUS DATE
Unit census date is the last date that you can withdraw from a unit without incurring academic of financial penalty.
9.2 PAYMENT DATE
Unit payment date is the last date that you can pay for a unit without incurring academic or financial penalty.
9.3 GRADUATE UNIT
At Macquarie University Graduate units are designated at 600 levels.
9.4 POST-GRADUATE UNIT
At Macquarie University postgraduate units are designated at 800 or 900 levels.
9.5 SERIOUS AND UNAVOIDABLE DISRUPTION
Serious and unavoidable circumstances is defined in the University’s Special Consideration Policy.
Circumstances are deemed to be serious and unavoidable if arising from a set of circumstances that:
1. Could not have reasonably been anticipated, avoided or guarded against by the student; and
2. Was beyond student’s control; and
3. Caused substantial disruption to the student’s capacity for undertaking assessment for the unit(s) and
4. Occurred during an event critical study period and was at least three (3) consecutive days duration or a total of 5 days within the teaching period, and /or
5. Prevented completion of an assessment task scheduled for a specific date (e.g. final examination, quiz or assignment).
9.6 SPECIAL CONSIDERATION
Special Consideration is defined in the University’s Special Consideration Policy. The purpose of Special Consideration is to enable the University to support students who have been impacted by circumstances that are unexpected, unavoidable, significantly disruptive and beyond the student’s control, and which may affect their performance in assessment.
9.7 UNIT, SUBJECT
(for example, ECFS867 Financial Instruments).
See Discontinue Studies in a Unit in section 2.5.
9.9 CANCELLATION OF ENROLMENT
- Payments must be made by the Payment Due date each term.
- You can find these dates: mafcstudents.mq.edu.au/current-students/important-dates/
- If you are unable to pay your fees by the census date your enrolment will be cancelled for any unit/s with outstanding debt. This will occur shortly after the census date.
- If your enrolment is cancelled this means you will not incur any academic or financial penalty for your units. If you wish to return to your studies, provided that your enrolment is active, you simply need to re-enrol into units for the following term.
- For all students who either pay or provide valid FEEHELP forms by the census date, they remain liable for the fee if they choose to withdraw after census date.
- The exception would be if the student is putting an application in for withdrawal due to ‘special circumstances’.